Like all other Killers in Dead By Daylight, The Hag has two main powers and three unique Perks that can eventually be unlocked for all other characters. She primarily uses her traps to monitor Survivors and hold down Survivor Objectives, like Generators and Hex Totems, and her emaciated claws to injure and down characters. Her powers can be improved upon with dozens of Add-On items in her Bloodweb. The Hag is considered an Intermediate-difficulty Killer who may be slightly more difficult for newcomers to get comfortable using. Here’s everything players should know about The Hag’s abilities and strategies for playing her effectively in Dead By Daylight.
How To Build The Hag In Dead By Daylight
When players choose The Hag as their selected Killer in Dead By Daylight, they will need to master her two basic weapon powers. Her basic attack is a simple swipe of her unnaturally elongated Claw. Her special power is called Blackened Catalyst, and these are the symbols she draws on the ground to set traps. A trap will go off if Survivors run within three meters of it, though this can be expanded with Add-Ons. When tripped, the trap creates a Mud Phantasm of The Hag that jumps up to scare players. The Phantasm wrenches Survivors’ cameras toward it and screams, disorienting them. It also emits a short Terror Radius and will keep its eyes constantly trained on the Survivor.
During the five seconds in which the Phantasm Trap is tripped, The Hag can teleport to that trap and catch disoriented Survivors. The Hag must be within 40 meters of the trap to teleport there. After teleporting, She is temporarily slowed for about one second, giving Survivors a slight head start. The Hag can have up to ten traps on the map at once, with each new one after that replacing the oldest.
Survivors can destroy traps using the Flashlight item, either by bringing it into the Trial or finding one in a Chest. They will need to find the trap’s Aura with the light, then aim the Flashlight directly at the trap to destroy it. Destruction takes about 0.5 seconds.
The Hag has three unique Perks, all Hexes that light up Hex Totems around the map. Like other characters, once The Hag reaches levels 30, 35, and 40, her Perks begin to appear in the Bloodwebs of other Killers. Some of her personal Perks can work well with most Killers in the Dead By Daylight roster. The Hag’s personal Perks are:
- Hex: The Third Seal: The last 2/3/4 Survivors hit with the Killer’s Basic Attack suffer from the Blindness Status Effect as long as the associated Hex Totem is standing.
- Hex: Ruin: All Generators automatically regress at 100/150/200% of the normal Regression speed when they are not being repaired. This effect lasts as long as the associated Hex Totem is standing.
- Hex: Devour Hope: Each time a Survivor is rescued from a Hook when the Killer is at least 24 meters away, Devour Hope receives one Token. At two Tokens, 10 seconds after hooking a Survivor, the Killer gains 3/4/5% Haste for 10 seconds. At three Tokens, Survivors suffer permanently from the Exposed Status Effect. At five Tokens, the Killer can kill Survivors by their own hand. These effects persist as long as the associated Hex Totem remains standing.
To counter these Perks, Survivors must find the associated Hex Totem and Cleanse it. Because The Hag can see the Auras of her own lit Totems, it is possible to rig these with Blackened Catalyst traps and prevent Survivors from cleansing to ensure The Hag’s power remains strong.
Typically, many players who use The Hag choose to run Ruin and Devour Hope, and will transfer these to other Killers they play. They will often replace The Third Seal with a Perk from another Killer. Because The Hag does not have a good way to counter Healing, Perks that target healing Survivors are good to prioritize. In addition, Perks that protect Hex Totems are a good idea. Good alternative teachable Perks that work well with The Hag’s control-based Killer abilities include:
- A Nurse’s Calling (The Nurse): The Auras of Survivors healing or being healed are revealed within a range of 20/24/28 meters.
- Corrupt Intervention (The Plague): At the start of the Trial, the three Generators farthest from The Killer are blocked by The Entity for 80/100/120 seconds.
- Franklin’s Demise (The Cannibal): The Killer’s Basic Attack makes Survivors drop their Items on impact. If not recovered within 150/120/90 seconds, the lost Item loses all charges. The Auras of lost items are revealed to the Killer in white, fading to red as time elapses.
- Hex: Undying (The Blight): Survivors within four meters of any Dull Totem have their aura revealed. When another Hex Totem is cleansed, that Totem’s Hex transfers to the Hex: Undying Totem, deactivating Hex: Undying but keeping the other Hex active.
- Make Your Choice (The Pig): Each time a Survivor is rescued from the Hook when the Killer is at least 32 meters away, Make Your Choice activates and gives the rescuer the Exposed Status Effect for 40/50/60 seconds.
- Monitor & Abuse (The Doctor): The Killer’s base Terror Radius is increased by eight meters, but while not in a Chase, their Terror Radius is reduced by 16 meters, and Field of View is increased by 3/5/10. Field of View effects do not stack.
- Save the Best for Last (The Shape): Each time the Killer hits a Survivor other than the Obsession with a Basic Attack, Save the Best for Last gains one Token (up to eight Tokens). The Killer gains a stackable 5% cooldown reduction on successful attacks per Token, up to a maximum of 40%. Hitting the Obsession with a Basic Attack causes Save the Best for Last to lose 4/3/2 Tokens.
Players can also use any standard meta Perks when playing as The Hag, like Hex: No One Escapes Death and Tinkerer. They will want to experiment with the options they have available and find the build that works best for them.
Dead By Daylight players can use Add-Ons found in The Hag’s personal Bloodweb to increase her power. The best options increase the range from which Survivors can trigger traps and The Hag’s teleportation range. These include:
- Dried Cicada: Considerably increases maximum Teleportation range
- Bloodied Mud: Considerably increases Phantasm Trap Trigger range
- Rusty Shackles: Triggered traps do not spawn a Phantasm and don’t give an indication of having been triggered.
- Grandma’s Heart: The Hag’s Terror Radius is reduced to zero, and the Phantasm Trap’s fake Terror Radius is increased to 16 meters.
- Mint Rag: Grants The Hag the ability to teleport to any untriggered Phantasm Trap on the map at will, with a cooldown of 15 seconds between teleports.
Killers are limited to whatever items appear randomly in their Bloodweb, so it is a good idea to experiment with different Add-Ons to find a combination that works best for the player’s preferred style and selected Perks. Generally, though The Hag has some Add-Ons that eliminate the ability to Teleport while granting other abilities, it is best to avoid these until players are at least comfortable using her.